Toad in the Hole
Vegetarian toad in the hole done right…
- 125g Plain Flour
- 300ml Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 8 x Goodlife Sausages (Tomato & Basil with Creamy Mozzarella are used in the photo – but you can use any flavour!)
- Vegetarian Gravy (See Caramelised Onion Gravy Recipe here if making your own!)
- Vegetable Oil
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 180c/Gas Mark 6.
- Brush the sausages with a little oil, and cook in the centre of the oven for approx 15 minutes until cooked through.
- At the same time, put approx 1cm of oil in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish, and place in the oven to heat the oil.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl, adding the salt, pepper and mustard powder.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mix, and crack the eggs into the well.
- Add around a quarter of the milk and stir until mixed well.
- Keep adding the milk a little at a time, stirring to remove all lumps. Make sure the batter mix has the consistency of double cream.
- Remove the sausages and the ovenproof dish from the oven gently – ensure you’re careful with the hot oil.
- Place the sausages in the dish and pour the batter mix over the top. The oil may spit as the batter mixture hits it – so please be extra careful.
- Place in the centre of the oven for around 30 minutes until golden brown. The mixture in the centre of the dish needs to be cooked through – poke a knife in the centre, and if it comes out clean, it’s ready. If not, cook for a few more minutes and test again.
- Serve with some vegetarian gravy, peas and carrots.